This blog on fentanyl awareness comes from Natural High, a drug prevention nonprofit that inspires and empowers youth to find their natural high and develop the skills and courage to live life well.
Natural High Fentanyl Toolkit: Resources to protect kids from fentanyl poisoning.
#1: FENTANYL PSA LESSON
To raise awareness on the dangers of fentanyl for kids, educators, parents, and caregivers.
The most important thing you can do right now is watch the 6-minute PSA with the kids in your life.
Have a conversation using the questions below.
- What did you learn about fentanyl?
- What would you say to a friend of yours who is planning on trying a substance that might be laced with fentanyl?
- What would you say to a friend of yours who offers you a substance they swear is safe?
- What could you do to share the film and this message with your circle of friends?
- Share with everyone you know.
- Forward this email to a friend.
- Tell 5 people what you learned.
- Share on social media.
#2: “FENTAPILL” LESSON
The DEA reports that 6 out of 10 pills seized in 2022 contained lethal doses of fentanyl. This lesson educates kids grades 6-12 on the prevalence and dangers of counterfeit prescription pills.
- Fentapill fact sheet
- “What is a fentapill” short video from partner
- Script on fentanyl for students
- Discussion questions
- Engaging Kahoot! or printable quiz
- Parent send-home resource
Here’s a few key things to remember when sharing the Toolkit:
Teenagers don’t like the feeling of being talked at or lectured. They tend to shut down. Rather, try asking open-ended questions like the ones we provide in the toolkit.
Research has shown that kids who also have opportunities to discuss the harms of drug use with caring adults fare much better.
At Natural High, we provide tools and resources for parents and educators to engage in thoughtful discussions with kids about the harms of substance use and steer them towards finding activities that light them up from the inside out.